Thursday, April 21, 2011

Tagged and (mostly) bagged

The packing project has been progressing more slowly than originally intended. Glen has his bag packed and sitting in the living room, with the knowledge that there may be an item or two swapped, added, or deleted before our departure date. I have yet to get anywhere with mine, although I have a good idea of what I will be bringing. Packing up the contents of our now-sold condo has been taking up most of my time, and has left me with little desire to pack a travel bag.

We do need a good, highly compressible daypack. Right now I'm waffling between the Eddie Bauer Packable Backpack and Rick Steves' Chivita Day Bag. Both of them pack down to next to nothing. I'm slightly inclined towards Rick Steves' bag, as the pocket design looks a little more functional and the microfibre material strikes me as being a bit more durable, but I would have to order it online. The Eddie Bauer bag claims to have a bit more carrying capacity, but I'm uncertain about the durability of the nylon material. I'm not too sure if Glen and I should each have one, or if one would be enough between the two of us. Really, there's only so much gack one needs to carry around on a typical day, so one would likely suffice.

In other purchase-related news, we finally bought our flight tickets! I've been eyeballing the flight options for some time, and noticed that the sales centres had already started to post promotional prices for September. Plus, the fancy flight options for the period of our travels had started spiking. I managed to land tickets on beautifully scheduled flights as one of the most reasonable prices I've seen. The total tab came to $2,700 (taxes included) for return flights for two people. It may be possible to locate cheaper tickets out there, but I didn't want to take the risk that we would pay more for lesser flights.

Part of the flight will be through Lufthanza. Apparently they provide complimentary booze!

No comments: