Sunday, June 17, 2007

Introduction - Part III: Get Up and Go

Having addressed why it took me so long to accept going on this trip on my own terms, we are brought around to the ‘simple’ aspect of this decision. Simplicity was delivered in the form of a metaphorical kick in the ass. A career opportunity came trotting down my garden path, and as I was certainly professionally and temperamentally qualified for it, I decided that I would apply. Glen and I had been talking about planning our much desired New Zealand excursion, but I wanted to snap up this job opportunity while it was available – an excellent example of the stalling tactics I mentioned in the above paragraph. I thought it very likely that I would at least get an interview, while many of my supporters thought it very likely that I’d get the job; in the end, neither happened.

Furthermore, I was rapidly descending into a funk brought on by the housing crisis in my hometown. Thanks largely to the oil boom and sudden economic growth spurt, housing costs in Edmonton, Alberta were rising at what felt like exponential rates. Despite my reasonable income, Glen and I were looking at having to transition from the house we were renting from my brother while he was working in Germany to an apartment or basement suite that would cost us around double what we were currently paying. The idea of attempting to negotiate a housing market that would not allow us to save or plan for the future in a reasonable manner was depressing, and as I am a worrywart about money, I found myself dwelling on this unfortunate business quite frequently.

After experiencing such a high level of frustration over my own apathy that I was practically in tears, my brain snapped into gear. I was putting off both mine and my husband’s life goals because of unreasonable levels of finance-related fear, and we no longer wanted to live in a city that was rapidly becoming one of the most expensive living locations in Canada. I had simply had enough. It was time to go, and I told Glen that I wanted to go in September.

Bear in mind that while many of the sentiments that had led to the desire to leave behind reality for a year had been boiling up for some time, I arrived at the point where I had mentally accepted the trip was very, very sudden. Going from being interested in the possibility of stalling a New Zealand trip and actually hammering out a firm time of departure was quite literally a matter of hours. I didn’t need to slowly convince myself that it was time Glen and I put our desires into practice. Fortunately, circumstance did all the convincing for me. While it took me several more weeks to get over my money-related worries, resolving not to let fear get the better of me and commit to going happened with what seemed to be a crack of a whip. It is time; time for us to move on, time to take a plunge, time to take risks, time to have our adventure.

Now that this somewhat self-indulgent (and admittedly rather whiny) introduction to the circumstances leading up to our trip is over, I would like to thank those who have had the patience to read it. Let’s start having some fun!

No comments: