Monday, September 3, 2007

Not all preparations are comfortable

The past weekend has been rather exhausting. As Glen and I are approaching the final countdown to our departure date (we leave for Vancouver on the evening of September 10th), the round of good-byes has begun.

The first farewell was from my workplace, at noon on Friday. Generally speaking, saying goodbye to work itself isn't difficult, but doing so to co-workers who I genuinely like is. I did choke up, but not so much to cause much in the way of embarrassment for the parties involved.

The second farewell was to my belly dance group, on Friday evening. My instructor, the ever-fabulous Aurora Ongaro of the edVenture Arts studio, with the help of a few dedicated (and incredibly energetic) students, had put together a Hafla complete with the spectacular Arabesque Orchestra. The musicians came in all the way from Toronto and there were a number of Alberta's best dancers in the show, including a particularly moving performance by Aurora. After the performances the floor opened up for the audience to dance, and dance we did. Music played until 1 a.m., and it was both exhilarating and rather emotional. The girls from the studio are really exceptional individuals, and I've made a number of friends in a short period of time. I will miss chatting with them, I will miss dancing with them...but what a way to spend my final evening in their company!

The third was to my parents, at the airport on Saturday morning. As they were leaving that day for a cruise, this would be the last time I see them before our departure date. As anyone who has a good relationship with their parents may imagine, seeing them off prior to an extended absence is quite difficult.

And now we have started staying goodbye to our friends, as we manage to visit them during our last week in town. We will be having an informal going-away party or two, but of course that doesn't make the process any easier.

1 comment:

Stacey said...

I want pictures of the packs of doom once they are packed but pre-leaving!